Cats were kept by the pharaohs of Egypt and were given the same royal treatment as their pharaoh humans. They were worshiped by all. Maybe those traits were passed down from generation to generation and that is why they treat us like their slaves?
The OMG’s science division will look into this if King Orangee approves the funding. In the meantime, here are 30 fun facts about cattos that even the most hardcore catto lover might not know.
- Cats domesticated themselves.
- The oldest known pet cat existed 9,500 years ago.
- Polydactyl cats are also known as “Hemingway cats”. Polydactyly is caused by a genetic mutation in a dominant gene and generally results in the growth of anywhere between four to seven toes on a cat’s paws.
- Cats don’t always land on their feet.
- Adult cats have 30 teeth, while kittens have 26.
- Félicette, a French cat, became the first and only feline to ever travel to space on October 18th, 1963.
- Orange tabby cats get a lot of screen time, i.e. Garfield.
- Pheomelanin gives orange and ginger cats their colour.
- Orange cats have four different patterns, none of them solid orange.
- About 80% of orange cats are male.
- A group of cats is called a clowder.
- All kittens are born with blue eyes.
- The Bombay cat breed was developed to specifically resemble a mini black panther.
- Black cats are more resistant to disease than cats of other colours.
- Most black cats have golden eyes due to the high melanin pigment content in their bodies.
- Jólakötturinn is the Icelandic Christmas Cat. Parents told the tale of the Christmas Cat to encourage children to work hard and those who are lazy would be sacrificed to the Jólakötturinn.
- A cat’s purr vibrates at the same frequency as the frequency that promotes bone and tissue healing.
- Purring is not always a sure sign of a happy kitty.
- The longest living cat ever according to Guinness World Records was called Crème Puff and lived an astonishing 38 years and 3 days.
- A female cat is called a queen or a molly.
- A cat can jump 5 times its own height.
- Cellist David Teie teamed up with animal scientists to develop an album called “Music for Cats” in 2015.
- Cats hear better than dogs.
- Cats have whiskers on the back of their front legs.
- Cats rub the scent glands on their cheeks and head against objects to mark their territory.
- A litter of kittens can also be called a kindle.
- Cats can’t taste sweetness.
- The most tricks performed by a cat in one minute is achieved by Didga, who successfully performed 20 tricks.
- The cat door was invented by Isaac Newton.
- Cats walk contralaterally, like camels and giraffes.
Maybe with the information above, we hoomans can revolt against our kitty rulers? I doubt so, since they will just hypnotize us with their cuteness. Have any facts of your own you would like to share? Leave us a comment!
See you in the next fun fact list!